Loudoun’s Rural Economic Development Council Recruiting New Members
Loudoun County is looking for candidates to assist in fulfilling the mission and purposes of the Rural Economic Development Council.
There are five openings on the 31-member council; the two-year terms begin January 1, 2013. Leaders from all sectors of the local agriculture business community and rural economy are encouraged to apply. Résumés and letters of interest are due by close of business October 8, 2012.
The mission of the REDC is to promote the sustainable economic growth and vitality of Loudoun County’s agricultural, horticultural, equine and other rural industries.
The purposes of the REDC are as follows:
1. Recommend to the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors a Rural Economic Development Strategy to carry out the recommendations contained in the Revised General Plan; coordinate the implementation of that plan by the Department of Economic Development, the Loudoun Chamber of Commerce, Visit Loudoun, the Small Business Development Center, Loudoun’s towns, and other agencies that support economic development in Loudoun; recommend strategic changes/updates to the board no less than yearly;
2. Furnish information and provide recommendations to the board relative to programs and policies affecting the economic growth and development of rural Loudoun County;
3. Review significant projects, policies and programs that effect rural economic development as determined by the board;
4. Provide a forum through which agricultural industry and rural business sector leaders meet to exchange ideas and experiences relative to rural economic development practices and policies;
5. Provide support and advice to the Department of Economic Development relative to rural economic development, marketing and promotional activities by public and private groups engaged in such activities throughout the county; and,
6. Monitor and evaluate year-over-year change in the rural economy as prepared by the Department of Economic Development.
Interested candidates may apply to serve in the following member categories: at-large; professional services or historic tourism property. Applicants must submit a letter of interest and a résumé to the Office of the Board of Supervisors and to the Department of Economic Development via postal mail or email.
A standard application form is not used.
Letters of interest and résumés are due by close of business October 8, 2012 to:
Loudoun County Board of Supervisors and Department of Economic Development
1 Harrison Street, S.E., Fifth Floor 1 Harrison Street, S.E., MSC #63
P.O. Box 7000 Leesburg, VA 20175
Leesburg, VA 20177-7000
Phone: 703-777-0204 Phone: 703-737-8820
Fax: 703-777-0421 Fax: 703-771-5363
A nominating committee, appointed by the chairman of the REDC, will conduct application interviews as appropriate and will propose a slate of nominees to the REDC. The REDC will deliver a final slate of nominees to the board for appointment.