Wellness Initiative Offering Washingtonians Free Access and Opportunities to Achieve Their 2018 Resolutions by Improving Exercise and Nutrition Regimens
***Join the Take Back #1 - #FitDC Movement***
It’s time to take back our city! In an effort to encourage active, healthy lifestyles, VIDA Fitness is partnering with the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) to spearhead a citywide campaign in hopes to place Washington, DC back to the number one spot as America’s fittest city, which is in direct support of DC Mayor Muriel Bowser’s Let’s Get #FitDC health and wellness initiative. DC garnered the #1 ranking three out the last four years in the American Fitness Index Data Report published by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), but lost its top position to Minneapolis in 2017. VIDA Fitness and DPR are determined to take back the title in 2018 and engage DC residents with a variety of fitness and nutrition incentives and public access to wellness programs.
The 2018 VIDA Fitness/DPR Take Back #1 public awareness program will include a series of free public workouts at area recreation centers along with health expos and nutrition seminars at VIDA Fitness that are scheduled in the following weeks. The free workouts, classes and seminars are opportunities for the public to conquer their fitness fears and will occur citywide. Ways to get involved in the 2018 Take Back #1 campaign include:
- Stand Up to Obesity - Complimentary InBody Analysis: Users will gain an accurate measurement of their body fat, muscle mass and much more through VIDA Fitness’ InBody analysis technology. To schedule your InBody analysis, please visit this page and fill out the form: https://www.inbodyusa.com/
- Try a New Class - Open Houses at VIDA Fitness: Free and open to the public, VIDA Fitness guests can experience complimentary workout classes, personal training demos and nutrition seminars. Participating locations include:
- Saturday, January 13 (2:00 -4:00 p.m.) at VIDA Fitness-The Yards (1212 4th St SE).
- Saturday, January 20 (8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.) at VIDA Fitness-Gallery Place (601 F St NW).
- Saturday, January 27 (2:00 – 4:00 p.m.) at VIDA Fitness-City Vista (445 K St NW).
- Take a Hike - DPR’s Healthy Heart Walk: On February 10, DPR will host a charity walk in an effort to combat heart disease.
- Turn #TGIF to #FITDC Fridays: Throughout January, DPR is hosting “#FitDC Friday New Year, New You” at the Banneker Recreation Center. Attendees can participate in a complimentary fitness class and receive a free fitness assessment with VIDA personal trainers. Also DPR does a free monthly, music-themed workout, Funky #FitDC Friday, which on January 12th features the music of Janet Jackson at Kenilworth Recreation Center (4321 Ord St. NE). February 9th, DPR bring Caribbean flavor with a “Carnival” fitness experience at Banneker.
- Support DC Parks: DC is the #1 ranked city nationwide when it comes to parkland percentage and parkland per 1,000 residents. Go out there and play: https://dpr.dc.gov/node/1238961
- Kick Bad Habits to the Curb: Put out that cigarette once and for all. Find the help and support you need to quit smoking with the DC Tobacco Free Coalition: http://www.dctfc.org/quitline/
- Switch Your Commute: Bike to work and kick start your day the right way. Need a set of wheels? Check out Capital Bikeshare or dockless biking options like LimeBike or Mobike.
“FitDC is important because as government officials and residents, even as visitors, we all have a responsibility to build the community that we live, work and play,” says Keith Anderson, director of DPR. “But that all starts with good health and FitDC puts on a path to being healthy, so we can all best serve our communities. DPR’s mission is to promote health and wellness; conserve the natural environment; and provide universal access to parks and recreation. FitDC aligns directly with our mission and we’re happy to coordinate Mayor Bowser’s vision of a truly FitDC.”
The annual American Fitness Index Data Report has become a reliable measure of community fitness for the country’s 50 largest metropolitan areas. ACSM launched the program to help communities identify opportunities to help improve the health of its residents and expand community assets to better support healthy living.
“We are thrilled to join forces with DPR in efforts to take DC back to the number one spot as America’s Fittest city,” says David von Storch, owner and founder of VIDA Fitness. “Everyone should have the opportunity to improve their day-to-day health and we are happy to offer these public programs and resources to allow more DC individuals to keep their 2018 New Year resolutions.”
Launched in the Spring of 2015 by Mayor Muriel Bowser, FitDC is a comprehensive health and wellness initiative that encourages residents to live a healthier lifestyle by linking them to nutrition and physical fitness resources in their communities. FitDC offers "Ward Walk" events, various challenges for District residents and official FitDC Coaches, who offer guidance on making healthy lifestyle choices. The initiative, reaching all 8 wards of the city, is led by the DC Department of Health (DOH) and the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR).
The DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) provides quality urban recreation and leisure services for residents and visitors to the District of Columbia. DPR supervises and maintains area parks, community facilities, swimming pools and spray parks, and neighborhood recreation centers. The agency also coordinates a wide variety of recreation and educational programs including sports leagues, youth development, therapeutic recreation, aquatic programming, outdoor adventure, camping, and senior citizen activities. Adaptive programs and facilities are available for persons with disabilities.
About VIDA Fitness
At VIDA Fitness, we are here to make your life better! We do this by creating uniquely designed and laid out spaces, providing industry leading facilities and programming, hiring and retaining the best fitness professionals to support you in achieving your goals, and creating a community where people of shared values can make meaningful personal connections. VIDA signature classes provide fun, innovative ways to work out that constantly evolve to provide new challenges. Complete with Aura Spa, Bang Salon, Fuel Bar, Gear Shop, luxurious locker rooms, and signature Endless Pools, VIDA caters to every aspect of their members’ lives. Founded in 2006, VIDA now has six convenient locations in Washington DC ranging from 30,000 to 60,000 square feet. For additional information on VIDA Fitness, please access the website at: www.vidafitness.com or follow on Facebook at www.facebook.com/vidafitness.