Washington Women in Public Relations (WWPR), the only professional society for female communicators in the greater capital area, named the 2017 Emerging Leaders Awards winners (ELAs) this evening. The eighth annual ELAs honored rising stars, ages 25-35, who have excelled in public relations and related fields, and given back to the industry by contributing their skills and talents to budding professionals and important nonprofit causes. For the first year, six winners from different industries were announced at the ceremony as a way to recognize the diverse group of up and coming communications professionals.
2017 WWPR Emerging Leaders Awards Winners:
- Agency: Tamara Moore, the Reis Group. In her role as vice president, Moore leverages her tenacity and command of complex healthcare issues to produce meaningful and measurable results for public awareness campaigns, science promotion and stakeholder communications.Moore also manages several nonprofit client accounts.
- Association: Alex Thompson, Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce. In her role as director of communications and marketing, Thompson is responsible for the development and execution of strategic communications initiatives in alignment with the organization's strategic plan. Thompson has launched and managed multiple strategic partnerships, led the communications efforts during the organizational rebrand, created brand identities and public relations campaigns for new events, and launched a Marketing and Communications Advisory Council.
- Corporate: Jenna Boyer, Marriott International. In her role as global employer brand manager, Boyer serves as the marketing and digital strategy leader, generating ideas for global audiences, contributing to the Marriott Careers content pipeline, developing marketing and communications strategies, and establishing career growth opportunities for Marriott associates. Boyer plays a key role in creating concepts that are informed by research and analytics to influence the behavior of Marriott's global audience and increase engagement.
- Government/Public Affairs: Amanda Byrd, Economic Innovation Group. In her role as manager for public affairs, Byrd leads strategic development and execution for EIG's public relations and communications priorities. She works with innovative organization sin economics, technology and biotech to create campaigns media, social, digital and interactive channels.
- Independent: Antonice Jackson, Founder and CEO, Audacious Publicity and Management Group. In her role as owner and publicist of her own firm, Jackson leads public relations, digital marketing, interactive media metrics and analysis, and event management. Jackson serves on the board of directors for the Public Relations Society of America – National Capital Chapter (PRSA-NCC) and is the past president of the National Black Public Relations Society (Washington, D.C. chapter).
- Nonprofit: Jessica Zetzman, the Case Foundation. In her role as digital communications and marketing director, Zetzman serves on Case's marketing and communications team, bringing to life current issues impacting the social sector, philanthropy and entrepreneurship. Zetzman was also named a PRNews' 2016 Rising Star.
2017 Judges Panel:A distinguished panel of judges selected the winners based on their record of excellence and accomplishments in their careers thus far as well as their leadership qualities and ethical standards.
The 2017 judges included:
- William Furmanski, Truth Initiative®
- Dr. Barbara B. Hines, Howard University, Cathy Hughes School of Communications
- Sunny Levitt, Georgetown University
- Lindsay J.K. Nichols, America's Charities (WWPR past president)
- Myra Oppel, Smith & Company
"WWPR is pleased to recognize these six talented female PR professionals who demonstrate success and dedication to excellence in public relations but also serve as an inspiration for all they have done within their first years of professional experience as well as within the community through their volunteer work," said Kelly Mack, WWPR President. "As the premier organization dedicated to the advancement of D.C. women in public relations, WWPR is honored to celebrate these emerging leaders, who will contribute to the public relations and communications industry for many years to come."
The Emerging Leaders Awards is a special accolade for young women active within the communications field who have made a significant impact on the industry. The complete list of 2017 WWPR Emerging Leaders Awards honorees can be found here:
The ELAs' winners were announced at a cocktail reception on Tuesday, September 12 at WeWork White House. Lauren Lawson-Zilai, senior director of public relations at Goodwill Industries International, past president of WWPR and founder of the Emerging Leaders Awards moderated a discussion with speaker, Blayne Alexander, national NBC News Channel correspondent and founder of the nonprofit, the Phoenix Leadership Foundation.
The 2017 ELAs were made possible by the following businesses: Connecticut Wines and Spirits for the wine; Cogent Video and Media for the video footage; D.C. SweetPotato cakes for the dessert; WeWork White House for the event space; Jimmy Minichello for the photos; Main Event caterers for the food and service; Washington Trophy Center for the awards; and Jennifer Farmer, author, for donations of Extraordinary PR, Ordinary Budget: A Strategy Guide.
Platinum Sponsors: Axios, PRNewswire/MultiVu and Strauss Media Strategies
Gold Sponsors: CRAFT, Professional Solutions and The National Press Club
Silver Sponsors: Edelman, Hager Sharp, Ketchum, Ogilvy Washington and The Reis Group
Bronze Sponsors: BusinessWire
Partners: Capitol Communicator, Nyberg Fletcher & White, xPotomac, PRNews, and Social Driver
About Washington Women in Public Relations (WWPR)
WWPR is a member-based professional society cultivating and inspiring female communicators to reach their full potential in the D.C. market and beyond. The organization is committed to providing leadership opportunities, professional development, mentorship, and industry networking. Visit us at wwpr.org and find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.