HANOVER, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Minneapolis-based Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) recently built a private network leveraging Ciena's (NYSE: CIEN) converged packet-optical solutions to support its robust research practice and Level 1 trauma center.HCMC can now connect its data centers and key locations to efficiently turn-up capacity for always-on access to share Electronic Health Records (EHRs), provide reliable connectivity to treat patients and support remote employees.
- HCMC recently transitioned to a collocated data center operated by DataBank Ltd., located 15 miles away from its main campus. The network required scalable connectivity to handle large volumes of data to support research, training, and the trauma center, which accounts for 100,000 visits per year.
- Using dark fiber and Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, HCMC enjoys flexible scalability and connectivity to support file sharing of radiological images, HD video consultations and other high-bandwidth applications. The new privately-managed 100G network lets remote doctors quickly retrieve EHRs and data from Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems and Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS) to support their work.
- In addition, HCMC now has improved control of and visibility into its network, ensuring efficient use of critical network assets and bandwidth optimization.
- “With the growth of remote workers and mobile caregivers, we need a network capable of providing quick and clear access to roughly 7,000 employees and up to 4,000 concurrent users accessing the EHR at all times of the day from various locations. Now, thanks to Ciena’s robust networking solution and expertise, we have a more powerful network in place so our staff can focus on what they are here to do – being at the forefront of medical innovations and delivering optimal patient outcomes.”
- Matthew Werder, Chief Technology Officer, Hennepin County Medical Center
- “With Ciena’s converged packet optical solutions, institutions like HCMC can modernize their networks to support life-saving services, facilitate increased collaboration and create new business efficiencies.”
- Kevin Sheehan, Vice President, Strategic Sales, Americas, Ciena
About Hennepin County Medical Center
Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) is a 484-bed comprehensive academic medical center and public teaching hospital located in downtown Minneapolis. It was one of the first hospitals in the country to be verified as a Level I Trauma Center and continues to be a leader in providing trauma care – assessing more than 22,000 trauma patients each year. As Minnesota's first Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center, HCMC admits and treats more traumatic brain injuries than any other hospital in Minnesota. For more information, please visit www.hcmc.org
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.